Presidents Day Read Aloud & Directed Drawing
This engaging read aloud and directed drawing is a perfect activity for Presidents Day! Teach students in elementary and middle school about the life of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln with a read aloud by the author and a directed drawing by the illustrator. Your students will love it!
George Washington Read Aloud and Directed Drawing
I Am George Washington by Brad Meltzer
The I Am George Washington children’s book by Brad Meltzer is perfect for Presidents Day! It’s will provide your students with an engaging overview of George Washington’s life in a short amount of time.
This YouTube video includes a read aloud of the book by the author and a directed drawing by the illustrator! So cool!
If you want to skip the introduction, the read aloud starts at 1:54 and the directed drawing starts at 19:27. The story is about ten minutes long. The directed drawing is about three minutes long.
Here are some questions you can use to keep your students focused while they watch the video:
- What activities did Washington enjoy when he was a child? (fishing, swimming, dancing, riding horses, reading books, & math)
- How old was Washington when he got his first job? (15)
- Where did the first battles of the Revolutionary War take place? (Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts)
- State one reason Washington was chosen to lead the colonists. (he was a natural leader, he was the tallest, he was wearing a military uniform)
- True or False? George Washington wore a wig. (false)
- True or False? George Washington had fake teeth. (true)
- What type of leader are you?
Abraham Lincoln Read Aloud and Directed Drawing
I Am Abraham Lincoln by Brad Meltzer
Your students will also love the I Am Abraham Lincoln book! This YouTube video includes a read aloud and directed drawing for Abraham Lincoln!
The read aloud starts at 1:41 and the directed drawing starts at 9:57. The story is about six minutes long. The directed drawing is about two minutes long.
Here are some questions you can use with the Abraham Lincoln video:
- What did Lincoln do when he found the other children teasing the turtles? (he spoke up and told them to stop)
- Who was Lincoln’s favorite book about? (George Washington)
- How many elections did Lincoln lose before becoming president? (4)
- What were Lincoln’s five most important words in his “Gettysburg Address”? (All Men Are Created Equal)
- What can never be taken away from you? (your voice)
- How can you use your voice to create change?
Presidents Day Vocabulary Activities
You can also celebrate Presidents Day with vocabulary! The activity linked below is great for…
- a class competition
- indoor recess
- extra credit
- literacy centers
- small groups
- morning work
- and more!
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PRESIDENTS DAY VOCABULARY ACTIVITIES
Here’s what teachers are saying about the vocabulary activities:
✏️ “I’m using this for fast finishers, and for some engaging down time.” -Jessica M.
✏️ “Great resource for the class to complete after learning about Presidents Day.” -Stefanie W.